Calling all anglers, golfers, hikers, and craft beer lovers: Virginia is calling, and it’s ready for you to plan your escape.
Situated between the Alleghany and Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia’s beautiful Shenandoah Valley, Harrisonburg is the ultimate outdoor playground for men (and women) of all ages. Plus, its central location makes it an easy road trip for those living in bigger cities like DC, Richmond, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Raleigh.
Harrisonburg, Virginia Travel – Biking
Interested in hitting the trails? Stop by shops like Shenandoah Bicycle Company to rent gear and chat with local experts, or plan an excursion tailored to your skill level with one of the talented guides at Shenandoah Mountain Touring. Of course, those aren’t the only trails available. Harrisonburg is a designated Appalachian Trail Community, welcoming thru-hikers from the famous trail all year long.
Harrisonburg boasts some of the best trails on the East Coast, attracting cyclists from throughout the U.S. and Canada. With designations by the International Mountain Bicycling Association and League of American Bicyclists as Bronze Level Ride Center and Bike-Friendly Community, combined with nods from USA Today as a “Top Mountain Biking Town” and from Virginia Living Magazine as one of the “Top 10 Cycling Destinations,” the city has earned its stripes as a destination for cyclists.
Harrisonburg is home to the premier fly-fishing store and guide service Mossy Creek Fly Fishing. Mossy Creek is one of the few places in the U.S. that offers fly-fishing services year-round, with classes ranging from beginner to advanced. From trout and smallmouth bass to carp and musky, these guys know their stuff, and have exclusive access to nearby private farms.
Golfing and Winter Sports
You can’t go wrong at the Four Season Massanutten Resort. Incredibly golf courses with uniquely breathtaking views of the rolling countryside. There’s also skiing, snowboarding, zip lining, and other activities that will allow you to seize the outdoors no matter what time of year you visit.
Of course, every man needs his downtime, so after a day of exploring Harrisonburg’s outdoor playground, the city’s local bars and restaurants are ready to welcome you with local brews, delicious eats, and live music to replenish your energy. Harrisonburg has quickly become a destination for craft-beer lovers, recently earning the title of Best Beer Town in the Blue Ridge by Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine.
Where to Stay
There are a lot of places open to travelers, but here are our favorite picks for exploring the outdoors.
Appalachian Trail Hikers Package from The Stonewall Jackson Inn Bed & Breakfast
- Concierge service to arrange taxi pickup from trail and to and from local outfitters
- Mug of hot cocoa or lemonade upon arrival (and thermos fill-up when you leave)
- Laundry service and gear dryout
- Guest computer access
- 20% discount on a private, in-room massage (Swedish and hot stones)
- Complimentary wine tastings at select local vineyards along the Shenandoah Valley Wine Trail
- Complimentary dessert with paid dinner at partner restaurants downtown
- All stays include Stonewall Jackson Inn’s signature daily “Breakfast to Remember.”
Virginia Fly-Fishing Package from By the Side of the Road Bed & Breakfast & Cottages
- A bottle of Chilled Sparkling Wine in your Cottage upon arrival
- $60 dinner certificate to a local restaurant
- A $25 Gift Certificate to Mossy Creek Fly Fishing Shop
- Breakfast to-go for the angler(s) on the mornings he/she heads out early and/or our Hot Gourmet Breakfast served to the non-angler delivered to your cottage door
- A Complimentary Signed Copy of Fly Fishing Virginia by Beau Beasley
Golf Getaway Package
Lakeview Golf Club was named “Best Golf Course of the Valley” in 2010 and one of the “Best Places to Play” by Golf Digest.
- Accommodations and breakfast at the Comfort Inn Harrisonburg
- One round of golf and cart for up to two people at Lakeview Golf Club per night
For more information, visit www.VisitHarrisonburgVA.com. For or a complete list of local packages, visit www.VisitHarrisonburgVA.com/Places-to-Stay/Packages.